Monday, August 26, 2013

Cispus and 'Play 2'

Sounds like a fun art date. (As in the Artist's Way)  My event last weekend had some easy access to art too. We all made Jackson Pollock t-shirts which was really fun and we had time to do 'art as process' paintings.  It was a bit hard to surrender the content and just play with the material, but I did realize when I was avoiding the assignment and aimed closer to the idea.  Then later, I took time for myself and went off and worked on this watercolor. The scanner was to small for the whole picture so I let it cut off some of my foreground.  No way the shirt will fit in the scanner so later,  when I have a photo I'll load it.
Anita has been getting children's books from the library to stay current.  She inspires me.  We have been howling over the newest by Daniel Pinkwater.  Its called Kingman Lives  and is the story of a young man who wants to be an artist.  There is a chapter which tells the history of art from the point of view of a fundamentalist minister which is wonderful.  The book takes place in the 'beat times.'  So great!  Lots of reflection on what is quality in art.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that sounds like it was fun. Getting children's books out of the library is good practice. When Rollin said we needed 300 in his year's course, I made sure to continue that. At least twice a month I go pick out around 10 books that interest me. Occasionally they are ones I've read before. I love studying the melding of art and words. I never tire of these and books about illustrators and their technique. I'll post my favorite about illustrators next time.

    ReplyDelete